Back Pain is an extremely common complaint. There is a lot of conflicting advice as to the ‘best way to treat back pain’ and it can be difficult to know what to do for the best. Expensive treatment protocols which require you to commit to weeks of hands on therapy, supports, braces, creams, rubs and gels that all claim to ‘cure’ your pain are based on out-dated knowledge and clever marketing.
Back pain is one of the more common complaints that we see here at Peak Physio & Fitness and while no two patients are the same, there are some general themes when it comes to advice regarding back pain.The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy gives the following guidance:
- Your back is stronger than you may think
- You rarely need a scan and it can do more harm than good
- Avoid Bedrest
- You should not fear bending or lifting
- Exercise and activity reduce and prevent back pain
- Painkillers will not speed up your recovery
- Surgery is rarely needed
- Try to get good quality sleep
- You can have back pain without any damage or injury
If managed correctly, almost all episodes of back pain are very short lived. Chartered Physiotherapists are experts in providing advice, guidance and treatment for back pain based on the best available evidence. A prompt and thorough assessment will identify the nature of your pain, allowing the right steps to be put in place to get you back in action!
An initial Physiotherapy appointment at Peak Physio & Fitness costs £38. We have appointments available Mon – Sat. In most cases you will be seen within a week and you do not need a referral.